Live from the 205

Camp Widow Scholarship

Camp Widow is rapidly approaching in San Diego! Yes, you read that right, Camp Widow. It’s an amazing gathering of widows and widowers from all walks of life gathering to heal, laugh, cry and smile about this journey none of us chose.

The Soaring Spirits Loss Foundation is providing scholarships to Camp Widow this year, and you can win one simply by commenting here!  Its held 8/10-12 in San Diego, CA. The winner must be widowed but is open to all men, women, LGBT, all ages and parenting statuses. There are people from 23 to 82, new widows to some 20 years out. The scholarship covers the cost of registration which is $375. The winner will be responsible for hotel, airfare and food. Check out the jam packed schedule here.

You can also learn more about Camp Widow over at Widowed Village, an online community run in partnership with Soaring Spirits Loss Foundation. Camp is overwhelmingly positive and DEFINITELY good for anyone of any age, any stage of loss. They cry, they laugh, they drink !

• The event is 8/10-12 in San Diego. This will be the FIFTH Camp Widow, and the FOURTH year of Camp. (We added East Coast this spring.)
  • The non profit organization that hosts Camp Widow is Soaring Spirits Loss Foundation.

Simply leave a comment here to be eligible to win the scholarship, and good luck !

14 Responses to “Camp Widow Scholarship”

Author comments are in a darker gray color for you to easily identify the posts author in the comments

1. Candy says:

Dear Kim,
    Thanks for the information about the kind & generous scholarship offer to Camp Widow. My wonderful husband Jeff went to heaven on June 8, 2009, after 5 1/2 years of marriage. I miss him every second. It helps to be with other widows & widowers who understand. I have 20 year old twins who keep me going. Thanks for your blog.
    Blessings, prayers, comfort & peace,
    Candy

2. Debbie says:

Just decided to go to camp widow. Seems crazy to be excited about it, but I am!

3. Mary-Anne Durkee says:

I am new on this journey of being a widow and Camp Widow would be an awesome help. I am on day 47 since my husband of 39 years passed away at age 60. I am still in a daze wrapped in the bubblewrap of shock. He was in the hospital 11 times in 5 1/2 months and suddenly I am not care giver or running to the hospital. It’s just me and Gizmo our little 13 y/o black Lhasa. She has been sleeping with her head on daddy’s pillow and sighs alot, me too.

We lost my mom (I am an only) Jan 2011 and Steve must have already been ill. I just thought he was taking her deathe really hard. She introduced us 40 years ago, and was more of a mom to him than his own.

I know there is light at the end of this darkness of this very deep hole of grief as I have been through “boot-camp” when we lost our youngest son 22 years ago to suicide. Nonetheless to be suddenly solo after so many years of “us” and “we” it is overwhelming in all aspects of life. *sigh*

This blog is my life line!

Thanks for all you do,

Mary-Anne

4. Dave says:

Hi Kim,
    I appreciate your offer for the scholarship. My 33-year-old wife passed away from leukemia on March 30, 2012 and is survived by myself and our one and three-year-old children. Needless to say, my life is upside down right now and I am struggling to find my new normal and can’t even take both children at the moment as it is just too much for me. My plan is to get my one-year-old back on August 13th from my in-laws and see if I can handle both of them on my own. I’d really like to get to Camp Widow but my financial position at the moment is not one that will easily allow me to fund this. I have met a widow on Widowed Village who lives local and we get along well and that has been helpful, but I’m sure spending this weekend with everyone would be very useful. Anyway, the caring bridge site for my wife is: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/raelynluchansky if you care to see her story. Again, thank you for your consideration.

Dave

5. Mandy Thomas says:

Dear Kim,
    First & foremost I would like to thank you for offering this wonderful opportunity for widows to unite with one another when they might not get the chance too otherwise. Secondly I would like to commend you on your strength, it truly is an inspiration to see other widda’s out there doing there thing & not being afraid to let the world know that we are not damaged goods. I lost my husband Roger when I was 21 years old after four years together (two of which were spent together in marriage) after a head-on collision that occurred on his 22nd birthday. Since then I have battled the day to day shuffle of widowhood & have found that having other widows to lean on is the ultimate therapy on the road of rebuilding. Life isn’t guaranteed & I am thankful that widowhood has opened my eyes to that aspect of life, it definitely teaches us to live in the moment! Keep on keepin’ on ladies & gents, we are all on this road together & the ultimate destination is someplace more wonderful than our minds can imagine!

God Bless!
    Mandy

6. LaurieR says:

Hi Kim
    I have been widow since Easter Sunday, 2012. We were married for 29 years. I am 49 years old and thought I was going to grow old with my husband. Death sucks!

7. Cheri Boeglin says:

Sure wish I was going again the year…. I just couldnt get the funds together this year. But hopefully I will get to go to the 5 year anniversary.

8. Renee says:

I lost my “Smoobear” Shawn Davis, my one great love, after 13 stellar years together on New Year’s Day January 1, 2012 of a sudden heart attack in his sleep at 34 years of age. I am honored that he chose to share his life with me…and am so grateful to have found such a wonderful organization to help widows not feel so alone in suffering an impossible loss. Death freaking blows indeed.

9. Kerri Wehrer says:

I would absolutely love to attend. I just recently found out about this event and think I could use some positive in my life!

10. Kim, thanks for doing this!
    Some of the commenters above have ALREADY WON because Janine offered to fund EVERYONE who commented on her blog… 27 people!
    So let’s coordinate before you make your award.
    Yay!
    X
    Supa

11. Dana Baze says:

Thank you so much for this contest. I had to quit my job to take care of my husband (which i would do again in a heartbeat) so this would be an amazing opportunity to be able to come. Blessing to everyone here….

12. Linda Curtin says:

I’ve been widowed for almost 2 yrs now (after my then 36 yr old husband had a 10 yr battle with colon cancer 3 times) I’m a single mom to our 3 kids & would love to be surrounded by others who “get it” & live it daily…Great Folks who know about this Journey & Hope!!

13. Barbara Bosse says:

I was widowed after my husband of 35 years suffered a cardiac arrest May 26. I did CPR which got him to the ICU but he never regained consciousness and we let him go June 2. He is now with our son who died of a football injury in 1995. Our daughter and her beautiful 2 children live in San Diego. Camp Widow sounds wonderful. thank you for this contest. I know we all do not want to be members of this club!

Comments are closed.

© 2014 Live from the 205. All Rights Reserved.
Powered by WordPress & Made by Guerrilla