Live from the 205

Judgement in 140 Characters

On Twitter recently, I was accused of being a racist and a homophobe.

Yes, me.

I KNOW RIGHT ?

I RT’ed a tweet that I thought was funny, even though I didn’t totally agree with the part about the only offenders being “the left.” I don’t care what side you lean to, there are hypocrites in EVERY demographic, and that’s the message I was trying to get out, with the RT and a follow up or two.

This is what I RT’ed – apparently totally racist / homophobic…..

And then I got this…And this….

To which I responded….

And again….

And then, he responded with this….

WTF? Racist ? Oh yes, I’ve totally been found out in my invisible white hooded robe. Whatever. I was RT-ing a tweet found funny and ironic, especially considering that I consider all people who do that kind of thing giant douche bags, whether they are left, right, independent, or black, white, pick the pigment of your choosing, gay, straight, bi or like to hump pillows and lick toads. If you claim to have an open mind and don’t, you’re a turd. WE ALL LABEL PEOPLE IN SOME WAY. It’s practically impossible not to. But was I being racist? I don’t think so. Am I homophobic? Uh, HELL NO.

In fact, I ate this CHOCOLATE cupcake with RAINBOW sprinkles immediately after the offending outburst to soothe my nerves. What racist homophobe would do such a thing?

IT WAS FABULOUS.

And I won’t lie, I WAS MAD. The whole thing really chapped my ass, especially since the accuser was someone I really liked and respected, and who I thought was pretty open to discussion. According to several of our mutual friends who contacted me after the discourse, he is not tolerable of those who disagree with him.

Perhaps he should try to adhere, as I do, to this ;

I never consider a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend.” – Thomas Jefferson

You wanna know my politics? Read this.

You wanna liken me to a racist homophone? Bitch please. You don’t know me.

I’m sure lots of my friends would agree with me.

19 Responses to “Judgement in 140 Characters”

Author comments are in a darker gray color for you to easily identify the posts author in the comments

1. Dave2 says:

Because I love ya, I’m just going to lay it all out.

I in no way considered your re-tweet to be racist or homophobic even though I didn’t agree with its sentiment. People can be “NOH8″ and “pro-civility” (or whatever) and still have the right to call out other people on their crap. But there are people who believe that if you proclaim yourself to be “NOH8″ or “pro-civility” (or whatever) then you are forbidden from having any opinions on other people whatsoever, and that’s bullshit. You CAN be “NOH8″ and call somebody “homophobic” just as you CAN be “pro-civility” and call somebody “judgmental” etc. etc. … these are NOT mutually exclusive concepts, they DON’T negate each other, and this kind of rhetoric being regarded of as insightful and smart isn’t scoring any points in my book.

So when I saw that re-tweet with no discernible context, I just rolled my eyes. It never occurred to me to put any more thought into it than that. People have different ideas and opinions, so big deal. I know that PLENTY of my tweets (if not all of them!) cause all kinds of eye-rolling… who cares? It’s 140 characters or less in Twitter for heaven’s sake. That’s not going to override the times I’ve met you in person or the years I’ve been reading your blog or how I feel about you. It’s just one of those things. We’re bigger than that.

2. wendy thomas says:

Wow. I guess that explains his FB saying something about all the mommy bloggers he had had to block this week. All I can figure is that noh8 and civility must mean very specific thing to him, and they might not mean the same thing to others? That’s the only way I can make your RT homophobic or racist. I don’t get it. I truly don’t.

Personally, as soon as I see anything with left or right that doesn’t refer to direction, my attention span snaps like a piece of gum and I move on. It just doesn’t interest me. Mostly because I think anyone who is all left or all right is pretty close-minded and bases a lit of opinions on the general political consensus rather than their own thoughts or beliefs.

And doesn’t civility mean being civil? Being nice and keeping mean thoughts to themselves? Kind of ironic that someone supporting civility wasn’t civil at all. I’ve always known him to be nice… Maybe he was just having a really crappy day? Or something?

• Kim says:

Yea, I heard about his mommy blogger comment. SHows how much he knows me huh? I’m totally the antithesis of the Mommy blogger !

3. wendy thomas says:

And another thing, I never have understood blocking a person just because of a little spat like this. Have I blocked ex boyfriends or friends if my ex husband? HELL YES! But that’s kind of different. Right?

4. Robin says:

I’ve been waiting for you to post this entry since the incident happened because i’ve wanted to comment in a forum where I have more than 140 characters to work with.

Anyone who knows me KNOWS that I really REALLY hate when people accuse others of being ____ist without real proof that this person is ____ist. I also HATE when people throw out the race card or accuse me (or any brown person for that matter) for throwing out the race card. Once you do that with me with NO real proof behind it, we’re done.

When I saw that YatPundit was accusing you of being racist, I immediately went to seek out said racist comment that you made, and when I didn’t see it and didn’t see any tweets backing up what he said, it pissed me off greatly. I understood what he was trying to say with the James Byrd tweet (a horrific tragedy), however I think that him comparing your RT to that incident was a huge stretch and unnecessary. There is so much hatred and racism and bullying and homophobia and xenophobia (and all that shit) going on in the world lately and I am so tired of it. If you are going to accuse someone of being anything, you better damn well come correct and lay out HOW that person did it, then be available to back it up when necessary. That’s the problem with twitter (and the internet in general) – people like to hide behind their computer and say shit but not stand behind their statements. It’s ridiculous.

With that being said, I don’t always agree with some of the tweets you make. To be real, some of them really make me wince (though most of them make me laugh my ass off!!!). However, this is a free country and you are allowed to not have the same beliefs as me. You are also allowed to express whatever you want to say, whenever you want to say it.

And I happen to feel and know (from experience) that you are one of the most open, honest, genuine and NON-RACIST people I have met…internet or otherwise. So there’s that.

XOXO, lady. :)

• Kim says:

Thanks my friend, I love you too, and I’m glad I make you laugh more than wince. XOXO P.S. – SEE YOU IN SAN DIEGO !!! : )

5. When all that went down, I just didn’t see it. I read the RT you did, and even though I though it was quite broad in it’s scope, I didn’t feel it was racist, especially since it wasn’t even your own words! I have only had one occasion to meet you in person, but I have read you often and have never felt the “racist” vibe. You can snore with the best of them, but you’re definitely NOT racist!

6. Lisa says:

I don’t think that tweet was racist. When I saw it I understood the sentiment, even though I didnt necessarily agree with it. There is A LOT out there that I don’t agree with, that doesn’t mean I’m going to call someone out and start an Internet brouhaha over it unless I’m *really* invested in it. And let’s face it, I’m too lazy to get really invested in someone else’s politics. You and I, our politics are poles apart, and I couldn’t care less. We’re all different, and that’s what makes the world a diverse and interesting place. We can disagree about the price of tea in China but I still know you’re a good egg, and I’m glad I get to call you my friend. Now I hope you have some of those cupcakes left over because I’ve got a sweet tooth!

• Kim says:

Thanks Lisa !! I ate the cupcake, but next time I see you, they are on me ! And booze ! : ) XOXO

7. JH says:

so let’s talk about the racist bit… I’m probably more racist than you are. and I’m black. So guess what, don’t be a dumb motherfucker; pay attention to WHO is tweeting and actually bother to know the individual personally..

You’re no better than the extreme right wing, sir. So go fucking join them.

• Kim says:

Thanks Jess !! I love that one of my friends , who is a black lesbian liberal, came to my defense !! Love ya ! XOXO

8. Sandy says:

Oh for good grief! I can’t believe he derived all that from one tweet. Plus….YOU?! Homophobic???? If that is the case then I want your “nail dude” LMAO

Sorry he was such a jerk, but unfortunately they are out there.

9. Janelle says:

Kim,

You are FABULOUS in every sense of the word (in my book anyway). There are times 140 characters says a lot about people, but mainly, for me, twitter is just a way to kill time and peek in on what others are doing, saying, taking pictures of, etc.

It’s not the proper place for people to make snap judgments of others who they have never ever met. Having met you (and been invited to a random BBQ with you, LOL) I *hopefully* know the context in which your tweets are meant to be taken and the same with others I have actually met in real life. It’s hard to always know the same and do the same thing when others who I haven’t met tweet things and I don’t have something in which to put it into any type of perspective. But twitter, again for me, is never a place for me to get all judgey judge with someone. After all, it is just 140 characters and if someone says something really out there, I just stop following them. Easy peasy :)

10. Robyn :) says:

Um, maybe I am misunderstanding the tweeting as I do not use it, but it sounds like people responding to you were being racist and homophobic. Reading into what you re-tweeted?

11. to the person who thinks that retweet was racist &/or homophobic: wow, over sensitive much?

sounds to me that they were looking for the drama.

i’ve spent days with you and never once heard or saw anything racist or homophobic from you. you know you. don’t waste any more time on the ignorant words of a drama queen.

12. Rita says:

Wow. The tweeter might want to check the history books on that Civil Rights Bill and what “side of the aisle” Martin Luther King, Jr sat. I’m am so sick of people screaming “RACIST” at the top of their lungs when you disagree with the politics of someone of color. Too many people MLK’s words, “I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.” And I’m sick of seeing those “more tolerant” people calling Herman Cain an “Uncle Tom”.

13. Rita says:

Ooops. Left off “forget” in the “Too many people….” part.

Comments are closed.

© 2014 Live from the 205. All Rights Reserved.
Powered by WordPress & Made by Guerrilla